Call for Submissions
Open Call for Independent Projects
Nuit Blanche Edmonton will be a twelve-hour major public arts event. Presented for one night only, beginning at 7 pm on Saturday, 29 September 2018 and continuing until 7 am on Sunday 30 September, this curated event of commissioned and open-call Independent projects will engage and inspire large-scale audiences from the greater Edmonton region. In addition to projects produced by Nuit Blanche Edmonton, this event will feature Independent Projects produced by arts organizations, collectives, and individual artists.
The programming committee of Nuit Blanche Edmonton seeks contemporary art proposals from artists, curators, collectives, architects, cultural institutions, schools, and creative thinkers in general with a performance, exhibition, or installation that will enthrall, excite and elate Edmontonians of all ages and levels of art knowledge. Selected projects will be exhibited at the second Nuit Blanche Edmonton.
- 2018 will be Nuit Blanche Edmonton second edition.
- Three exhibition areas in downtown Edmonton are proposed:
- The Stationlands Zone will use the northwest area by 101-99 Street and 104 Avenue.
- The Core Zone will use 101 Street as its “spine,” running between 103 Avenue and Jasper Avenue.
- The Drive Zone will encompass MacDonald Drive from 99 Street and heading west to 102 Street NW.
- Site-specific proposals are welcome, and should be noted in your proposal with a specific address or landmark, accompanied by an image. If you do not operate your own venue, you must contact your desired venue prior to submitting an application. If you have already been granted permissions to use the space, it would be considered an asset to the application.
- While Nuit Blanche encourages Independent Projects to create a work specifically for the event, Nuit Blanche will also consider Independent Projects that will simply entail galleries remaining open with free admission to their existing exhibition for the duration of Nuit Blanche.
- A separate open Call for Portfolios will be issued for artists who wish to participate.
- There is no one formula for a good project; however, Nuit Blanche offers certain opportunities to presenters. These include the opportunity to: Engage with large numbers audiences of various backgrounds and exposure to the arts; Engage with the city at night; Offer interactive and accessible works of art; Intersect with city infrastructure and spaces in new and surprising ways.
- Independent Projects will be self-funded by the presenter, not by Nuit Blanche Edmonton. Nuit Blanche will promote Independent Projects within the larger Nuit Blanche program, and provide listings of your project within our event guide and on our website.
- Artists working in all contemporary practices are welcome to submit a project proposal through this Open Call, however Nuit Blanche Edmonton is foremost a visual impactful event with a projected attendance of over 70,000 over 12 hours and your project must be suitable for that amount of experiential traffic and interactions.
Projects must meet the following Eligibility Requirements:
- The project must be open ALL NIGHT. Projects that are durational in nature or performance-based are framed in an endurance art framework. Projects must last for the full 12 hours of the event.
- Projects must be free to the public.
- Projects must be self-funded by the producing organization.
- All projects must be located within the city of Edmonton.
- Venues must be open to all ages. Venues that are +18 will not be accepted.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Projects will be assessed with the following criteria:
- The focus of the project falls within the realm of contemporary art. If your project’s genre is not contemporary visual art, please ensure you explain how it relates.
- The proposal is unique, and will offer “entry points” for a wide audience.
- The project is of a high quality.
- The proposal speaks to the zeitgeist of Edmonton.
- The proposal should balance the needs of a diverse audience—age, demographic, and knowledge of the visual arts will vary dramatically between audience members.
- The proposal should include projects of a scope and scale that can accommodate a large number of people.
- Projects that are durational in nature or performance-based are framed in an endurance art framework. Projects must last for the full 12 hours of the event.
- The project’s feasibility thought from both logistical and budgetary perspectives.
- The project contributors’ previous works.
The acceptance & notification Process
Please note that applicant’s participation in Nuit Blanche is not automatic. All applications will be reviewed by the Nuit Blanche Programming Committee. The Programming Committee is comprised of practicing visual arts and arts professionals, including artists, curators, programmers, and production personnel.
All applicants will receive an e-mail to confirm receipt of their application within five business days. If you submit an application and do not receive a confirmation e-mail, your application has not been received and you will need to follow up with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants will be advised of the results of their application by 30 June 2018.
Benefits of participating
Participating in Nuit Blanche will bring a wide range of communities and audiences to you. Many people attending will be new to the world of visual art.
Your project will benefit from an overall marketing campaign that will promote the event as a whole, driving attention to the event’s printed guide and website. Independent Projects will be included in promotional material including the event guide, website, and promotional pitches.
Production and logistics
Independent Project producers are responsible for all costs associated with their project. These costs may include (but are not limited to): artist fees, event staff, production/technical equipment, materials for the project, security guards, barricades, and power distribution.
All projects must be created and executed in strict compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Regulation and Code.
Independent Projects are solely responsible for ensuring that all appropriate permissions and permits are secured for the creation and execution of the project.
Your application should include:
- A short proposal, telling us what your project is about.
- Bios of artists involved or organizational profile.
- A budget if you are asking for financial or in-kind support from Nuit Blanche, and why you need support.
- Images, video, audio (see the Application Form for format specifications)
Please send required application by the deadline: Sunday, 15 July, 2018 at 6 pm MST.
Please email proposals to:
email@example.com, with “Independent Project Proposal” in the subject line.
We are only accepting digital submissions so please be respectful of the size of attachments and video should be via hyperlinks only. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in Nuit Blanche Edmonton.
Oxford Call for Submissions
Nuit Blanche Edmonton is pleased to announce a Call for Submissions to Alberta-area artists for a temporary public art exhibition within the City of Edmonton that will occur over one night only on 29 September 2018.
$25,000 all inclusive for one interior site (artist can choose WEST or EAST site), or
$12,500 all inclusive for two interior sites (artists can choose to propose one or two works for $12,500).
LOCATION: Edmonton City Centre Mall, EAST and WEST, interior atriums
DEADLINE: Submissions are due Friday, 27 July 2018 at 4 p.m. MST This project is generously supported by Oxford Properties Group.
Nuit Blanche Edmonton in conjunction with City Centre Mall, downtown, Edmonton and Oxford Properties Group will be producing an exhibition of temporary public art works in one or two distinct sites inside CityCentre Mall. These locations are located within the skylight areas of City Centre Mall East and West Buildings joined by a pedway. These unique and grand areas already have trusses (EAST) and rigging (WEST) in place as well as access to power.. These locations see over 10,000 unique visitors daily and will be exhibited in advance of 29 September and located indoors of these shopping and business locations.
These works should be dynamic and have the capacity to be seen by 100,000 thousands of visitors over time and should have the ability of emit tones, sounds; or be kinetic and are suspended from ceiling.
On the EAST side 3 trusses are in place (1 large, 2 small)rated from 800lbs to 3000lbs. On the WEST side, cabling is in place – 1/4” aircraft mbs with a capacity of 5000lbs in a straight pull. Bridles will decrease the capacity.
The event will be free to the public and, like our previous event, will activate the dynamic nature of this city’s spaces.
About Nuit Blanche Edmonton
Nuit Blanche Edmonton Society is a non-profit organization. Our mission is to bring Edmontonians and contemporary art together at night to transform our urban spaces through transitory public art works. With over 30 contemporary art sites throughout the downtown core, we are projecting over 70,000 visitors from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
Types of Submissions and Evaluation Criteria
There is no one formula for a good project; however, the nature of event offers exciting opportunities to artists and creatives. These include the opportunity to engage with the city at night, offer interactive and accessible works of art, and creatively reimagine our urban landscape. These two projects offer incredible exposure for artistic excellence and interactivity. Projects will be installed and exhibited for 29 September 2018 and have the possibility of being extended for a longer duration.
NBE welcomes submissions that medium to large scale installations that challenge and amaze visitors and are within the realm of contemporary art.
Projects must meet the following Eligibility Requirements:
- The project is unique – a spectacle to engage, and will offer multiple entry points for a wide audience.
- The projects must be suitable for all ages and engaging to people of all abilities.
- The projects must be feasible from budgetary, logistical and safety perspectives.
- Previously exhibited work will be considered.
To apply, Edmonton-area and Alberta-area artists are asked to please email the following to email@example.com by Friday, 27 July 2018 at 4 pm MST:
- Description of the project and preferred location(EASTorWEST side, or both)
- Rendering or link to a video file
- Budget must include artist fees($2,500 per work),materials, fabrication, shipping, permits and inspections and installation.
- Power and rigging is on site already. A site visit by the artist will be required. Some installation assistance will be provided by City Centre Facilities Staff.
- in the range of including artist fees of ($2,500) and standard permits (which will be paid for separately by the organization).
- CV(s) for all participating artists and/or bio paragraphs of collaborators
- If desired, up to 10 images representing your body of work. Images may not exceed 250kb per file.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Acceptance and Notification Process
All applications will be reviewed by the Nuit Blanche Programming Committee. The Programming Committee is comprised of practicing visual arts and arts professionals, including artists, curators, programmers, and production personnel.
All applicants will receive an e-mail to confirm receipt of their application within five business days. If you submit an application and do not receive a confirmation e-mail, your application has not been received and you will need to follow up with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants will be advised of the results of their application by 15 August 2018.
If successful, applicants will be expected to work closely and collaboratively with our production team and to adhere to our timelines. Our team will provide their support, resources and expertise in executing artworks of this scale and type. All production and permit costs will be covered by the organization, as will artist fees of $2,500. All projects must meet our standards for feasibility, sustainability and safety.
DEADLINE: This project must be submitted to email@example.com no later than Friday, 27 July, 2018 at 4 pm MST.
For further clarification or to query concerns please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.